Why Do We Study English?
English is one of the most widely used languages in the world. It is spoken by nearly three hundred million people： in England, the United States, Australia, Canada and many other countries. It is one of the working languages at international meetings and is more used than the others. It is said that 60 percent of the world's radio broadcasts and 70 percent of the world's mail are in English. Millions of books and magazines are written in English, too. English is really a bridge to knowledge. With the help of English we can learn modern science and technology faster and better form the developed countries. In this way we can serve our country better.
The Ways for Reading
To read successfully requires correct ways of reading. Here are some suggestions：
(1) Choose books which are neither too difficult nor too easy for you. If you find it too hard to go on with the book, just put it aside for the moment and change for an easier one;
(2) Choose books that not only interest you but also benefit you, for reading is not always for fun only;
(3) Some books are to be read roughly, but some must be read slowly and carefully. Don't forget to take some notes whenever you feel it necessary;
(4) Don't be shy to ask questions. Anyone who knows more than you do can be your teacher;
(5) Make good use of dictionaries, for dictionaries are your best teachers.
September 10 is our Teachers' Day. In the afternoon, Zhonghua school held a celebration meeting, at which more than twenty old teachers each were praised with a medal for their over thirty years of teaching. Our principal made an enthusiastic speech at the meeting, and then the representative of the teachers and students gave a talk to us. After the meeting. We started performances played by some teachers and students, which were very interesting and instructive. We all had a wonderful time. I think we all should respect the teachers, engineers of human soul.